Thursday, May 10, 2012

Closet Office/Desk Inspiration

      I have decided to start on a interior design project in my bedroom. Right now, I have a beautiful bedroom set that I purchased a year ago, that has so much storage space for clothes, that I barely use my closet anymore. My desk currently is taking up an awkward space in front of my window, so I have decided to turn my closet area into my desk/ workspace area. I am going to try to create a beautiful and elegant office space in my appox. 7 foot long by 2 feet deep closet.

      This task seems to have a lot of challenges. First of all, I have found it impossible to find a desk that long that will fit in the 2 foot wide space. Looks like I will be looking a custom set up, or having to use book/wall shelves. I don't want to spend too much money on this project, but I am also limited as to what I can do myself. I don't know shit about table saws, power tools, or how to hang things straight (even with a level). So I will be looking at the easiest and most affordable ways to a DIY transformation of an ugly closet to an elegant/ functional work space that will complement the room.  I will be updating with photos and descriptions of the products I have found that work for this type of closet. Hopefully it can help some of you who are also looking to utilize your closet space in a new and creative way. I really think this is a great idea, and hopefully it turns into the masterpiece I envision.

First tip from my few years of experience in home design projects, do not RUSH. Take the time to research, measure, draw out, and re-think your design. It's not going to come out how you first envision it. You have to see what is available for the space, in the colors that you need. If you rush and buy the first thing you see, it most likely won't work, or you will compromise the space or functionality of your project.


Here are a few projects I found that inspired me to take on a project of my own:










 Let the project begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment